The Best Braun Shavers Review 2020
It is common knowledge that men of all ethnicities have to deal with the setbacks of shaving.
Sadly, African American men experience the most setbacks when it comes to electric shaving due to their naturally curly, coarse hair and sensitive skin.
Due to the hair type primarily, African American men are the most prone to ingrown hairs and razor bumps. Razor bumps occur when a hair that is close to the skin grows and curls right back into the skin, which makes African American men more likely to experience these skin conditions.
After carefully researching this topic, we were able to discover what makes the ideal electric shaver for black men and compiled a list of the 10 best electric shavers by Braun, the most trusted brand for electric shavers.
While researching and compiling data on this topic we asked the most important question: What makes the ideal electric shaver for African American men? This is what they had to say:
- The shaver must be able to cut in a straight line, to flatten curly, wiry hairs- Most electric shavers cut at an angle which leaves the hairs sharp and more prone to growing back into the skin, causing ingrown hairs. The ideal electric razor will cut in a straight line and lift the hair in the process. It will also cut longer hairs that have grown in different directions precisely. This plays an important role for men with sensitive skin. Men with sensitive skin usually wait a few days in-between for the skin to heal to tackle the longer hairs as shaving in the same area multiple times causes increased irritation.
- Fast motor with sharp blades yet gentle to the skin- Pulling and tugging of the hairs are mainly caused by dull blades and a poor quality motor. A good electric shaver will give you a fast, smooth shave with little to no pressure needed. Changing the blades regularly is a definite requirement for men with sensitive skin.
- Wet/Dry Capabilities- Wet/Dry capability isn’t considered a deal-breaker for most, but it is an added bonus for men. In conjunction with a good electric shaver, a good quality shaving cream will provide the best results when shaving in/out of the shower. A good shaving cream increases both comfort and closeness.
For the men that are more into dry shaving, it is recommended that you use a pre-electric shave lotion or gel for an optimal dry shave.
Now that we have a better understanding of what problems that African American men especially experience when shaving with an electric razor, we can now take an in-depth look at the top 10 Braun electric shavers for African American men.
The 10 Best Braun Electric Shavers Review
The series 9 from Braun is the premier shaver and one of the best from the Braun line. As the company’s new staple shaver, the series 9 did not disappoint.
The Braun Series 9 was specifically designed to tackle longer, flatter hairs with a more powerful motor. It also provides the user with an extremely close and comfortable shave.
This product handles longer hairs better than the traditional foil shaver.
- Shaving daily isn’t required anymore to achieve a smooth, clean shave
- This model offers wet/dry variations for personalization
- Option to purchase with cleaning station
- The powerful motor is designed to cut long, flat hairs with precision
- Price– the Braun Series 9 is very expensive as well as the replacement heads, but worth the investment
- As with all Braun electric shavers, it is difficult to clean manually, but the cleaning station sanitizes and lubricates the blades effectively
The Braun Series 9 is an expensive shaver but definitely worth the investment. If money isn’t an issue for you then consider it a must-have. It has been named one of the best shavers for African American men.
This wet/dry model of the noted series 7 is completely suitable for wet shaving. Just like traditional series 7, this model uses the same system that lifts and cuts flat hairs making it ideal for curly hair.
The 7865cc also comes with a charging station and an alcohol-based solution for sanitation.
- Wet/dry capable- Completely waterproof
- Designed for sensitive skin with triple blades and a thin foil to catch hairs precisely
- Feels like a gentle massage every time you shave
- Uses the same system as the traditional series 7 to lift and cut flat hairs
- Expensive, but not as costly as the series 9
- Not ideal for the customer who prefers a dry shave due to cost
The Braun Series 7 7865cc is the ideal choice for the man that prefers to shave in the water. It is completely waterproof and it is a more budget-friendly option for series 9.
The Braun 790cc is a more personalized approach to electric shaving. This razor comes equipped with 5 different settings ranging from sensitive to turbo; making this shaver an ideal choice for African American men.
To further help with sensitive skin, this shaver travels in straight lines vs. angular and cuts hair in just one stroke minimizing skin irritation and razor bumps.
The biggest feature of this product is that this model is designed to last a minimum of 7 years. Once you invest in this razor you won’t have to replace it anytime soon.
- Waterproof feature makes it safe to use in the shower
- 5 different modes allow you to personalize your shave
- Cuts hair in one stroke, reducing the risk of harming your skin
- Once you invest in this shaver, you won’t have to invest in another one any time soon
- For first time users, navigation will be a little more difficult because of the different controls
- To ensure that this the right product for you; make sure you have a definite understanding as to what your personal needs regarding this electric shaver
The Braun 790cc is a great waterproof shave that is more budget-friendly than other Braun shavers. The different setting for this product makes it a very versatile shave for men of ALL ethnicities.
Another budget-friendly option that also compares to the series 7 performance-wise. The shaving head of this model also mimics the series 7 down to almost every detail.
This product is very gentle to the skin, making it suitable for African American men. This product is also available in wet/dry or dry use only models.
It also comes with the purchasing option with a clean and charge station, which is always recommended.
- A more budget-friendly option for the series 7
- Provides the highest level of comfort even in the most problematic areas
- Available in wet/dry and dry only models to suit an individual’s preference
- Gentle to the skin making it suitable for African American men
- When purchasing this model or any other Braun electric shaver; make sure you purchase the cc version if you want to purchase any of these products with the clean and charge station
- Carries long and strong variations during use
- Not the closest shaving razor for the price
The Braun Series 5 5090cc would be an ideal razor for a beginner. Purchasing the clean and charge station would be ideal for this model because it is difficult to clean manually.
A more simple razor is suitable for beginners. The Braun series 3 is completed with a 3 blade system.
This 3 blade system contours to the curvature of the face while cutting both long and short hairs.
This model is also equipped with MicroComb Technology that allows this product to catch more hair. Its ergonomic handle and rubber grip make it ideal for men who prefer a wet shave.
With a one-hour battery life per charge, you can achieve multiple shaves with just one charge.
- Ergonomic and rubber grip makes this product ideal to use in the shower
- The added simplicity makes it a great choice for beginners
- 3 blade system contours to the face while cutting long and short hairs
- A great price for a good, easy to use the shaver
- Long charge time (takes 45 minutes to fully charge)
- Not a long-term investment due to the excessive battery charging
The Braun Series 3 3040s is a good choice for a young African American man that is just learning how to operate an electric shaver. However, it wouldn’t be a top personal choice for a long-term investment.
If you are considering purchasing this product it is 1recommended that you charge this shaver about a few hours to the night before prior to using it.
It has also been claimed to feel like a brand new razor every time you use it. It also noted for its cleaning system to be more sanitary than cleaning with water alone, with its alcohol-based solution.
- Alcohol-based self- cleaning and lubricating station
- Every function is enabled with the touch of one button
- Ideal tool for shaving African American skin
- Like a brand new device every time you clean and charge it
- l As with all high-quality electric shavers, the price will have an effect in comparison to other shavers
- l It has been noted to miss some fine hair
Purchasing a high-quality electric shaver is definitely worth the investment. The Braun Series 9 9095cc is a product that does deliver overall with superior comfort while you shave.
Although this product is not too budget-friendly the one-touch self-cleaning and lubricating function makes this device worth the investment.
This razor when it comes to irritation is almost slim to none. When using this razor, it has been noted that you will eventually forget about having previous issues with shaving.
This razor, just any other series 7 devices is equipped with ActiveLift Technology. This feature minimizes the risk of shaving in the same area twice causing irritation.
Its 3 personalized modes (intensive, extra sensitive and normal) allow you to customize your shave giving you optimal results.
- ActiveLift technology prevents multiple passes during shaving reducing irritation
- Adjustable settings allow you to shave the most stubborn hairs
- 3 personalized settings for various skin types, making it ideal for African American skin
- Provides a very comfortable shave with smooth results
- Razor bumps are still prevalent in some areas
- Due to its limited settings, the chances for multiple passes in the same area is slightly increased
The Braun Series 799 CC is a good razor for African American skin. Due to its limited stings, there is still a slight chance for multiple passes on the skin in the most stubborn areas.
If you decide to purchase this razor it would be ideal to use a high-quality shaving cream or lotion for optimal results.
Its powerful motor cuts the hair with precision for the most coarse and curly hair while avoiding razor bumps. Although this device has a wet/dry functionality.
It is best to use this shaver on a dry surface. For best results incorporate a high-quality pre-electric shave gel before using this product.
- Advanced shaving system effectively targets short and long hairs effortlessly
- The powerful autosensing motor allows a clean shave for coarse and curly hair, making it a sound investment for African American males
- Complete with SyncroSonic Technology to capture more hairs with one stroke
- Wet/Dry functionality makes it safe to use in the shower
- Minor skin irritations are possible to the micro-vibrations
- Not ideal for men who prefer a wet shave
Just like all other Braun Series 9 models this device fails to disappoint. This razor is best used for a man who enjoys a dry shave.
This advanced system has a powerful motor that is proven effective for short and long hairs alike.
This product is also ideal for a busy man with the most sensitive of skin who can’t shave on a daily basis due to time and skin type.
Another model ideal for beginners, the Braun Waterflex is a good cost alternative to the Series collection.
It has a basic design that is suited for both wet and dry skin. This model just like the Series 3 has an ergonomic slip-free handle which makes it safe to use in the shower.
This model also includes a battery charger that provides 45 minutes of shaving per one hour charge.
- Its basic design makes it ideal for beginners and wet/dry skin shavers
- A good and cost-effective alternative to the series collection
- One hour charge provides 45 minutes of shaving
- Swiveling head contours to better adapt to the jaw, chin, and neck
- Due to its basic design, this shaver would work best with wet skin
- Cleaning and a self-lubricating system is not available for this model
The Braun Waterflex is a good alternative to the Series collection from Braun.
If you are looking for a more efficient product with more long-term value, it would be highly recommended that you invest in the Series collection.
An electric shaver that is both tough on the beard, but gentle on the skin.
The Braun Proskin is not only effective for wet/dry skin shaving; it also has 3 pressure-sensitive points for maximum comfort and efficiency.
The rubber dot pattern on each side allows for secure handling while showering and/or rinsing.
The ProSkin just like the Series collection comes with a clean and charge station for sanitation, charging, and lubrication.
- Top choice for a budget-friendly razor
- Includes the clean and charge stations similar to the Braun Series collection
- 3 pressure points allow for maximum comfort and efficiency
- Superior handle grip allows for secure handling in the wettest conditions
- Sharp cutting elements may increase irritation
- Due to the cutting elements if you decide to use this product on dry skin applying a pre-electric shave lotion prior to use will provide the best results.
The Braun ProSkin 3050 electric shaver is an excellent choice for African American men that have budget constraints.
It has some of the same counterparts as the Series collection but more cost-effective. With its clean and charge capability, you can enjoy some of the amenities as the Series collection without the high price tag.
Why Braun Shavers?
Men of all ethnicities have experienced many setbacks when it comes to shaving.
African American men due to their curly, coarse hair texture and sensitive skin make them more prone to experience razor burns, bumps, and ingrown hairs more often than any other ethnicity.
Razor bumps are caused by hair that grows close to the skin and curls back into it. Razor bumps and irritation are not only an uncomfortable feeling but the scarring can be unsightly as well.
We have had the privilege of exploring common shaving issues with African American men, researching and finding products that suit every budget and found the best electric shavers for black men to use.
Our Best Pick
If there was a personal choice to be made in choosing the best shaver, the top choice would be the Braun Series 7 790cc.
The reason why this would be considered a personal top choice is that this product adds a personal touch to personal shaving.
This product is the most versatile among others with its wet/dry capabilities as well as the different modes to choose from.
This razor travels in a straight line that cuts the hair in one stroke without the irritation leaving fewer bumps and reducing ingrown hairs.
The best attribute of this product that it is built to last 7 years, which is ideal if you are looking to invest in a long-term razor.
All razors aren’t created equal, but selecting the right razor to suit your needs should be made easier. When searching for the perfect shaver especially for African American men, remember:
- Search for a razor that cut in straight lines vs. at an angle to reduce leaving sharp hairs and more prone to growing back into the skin causing ingrown hairs.
- Make sure your razor has a powerful enough motor to effectively remove long and short hairs with one stroke.
- A versatile razor has multiple settings as well as wet/dry capabilities
- When shaving with dry skin applies a good quality pre-shave electric lotion, gel, or shaving cream for the best results.
- If you have the previous scarring from using the wrong type of razors, visit your local dermatologist to find the proper skin regime for your skin
Finally, if you are buying electric razors for the first time start off with a basic design to gain a better understanding of how they work.
With the research and data that has been compiled the main goal was to narrow the list to find the 10 best Braun electric shavers for men.
It is to the greatest hope that this list will provide some insight into the common problems that minority men especially, African American men experience with shaving.
More on The Best Braun Shavers
We analyzed reviews for the most popular Braun shavers available on the market(read about our accurate unbiased method).
We compared them side-by-side and scored them according to a range of factors including ease of use, functionality, close shaving, durability and blade options…
Below you will find top-ranked shavers (click on the product name to read the full review).
|Top-ranked Braun electric shavers||How We Test|
Buy at Amazon
Buy at Amazon
Buy at Amazon
|Date Reviewed||Feb 15, 2015||Feb 15, 2015||Feb 15, 2015|
|Scores||Braun Series 7 790cc||Braun Series 5 550cc||Braun Series 3-340s|
|Ease of use|
Electric shavers are versatile products, designed for active men who do not like to spend too much time grooming. In order to achieve the desired results, it is mandatory to choose a product that includes the features you desire. The budget is also essential, so it is advisable to take some time and check the qualities, before paying for it. This article aims to point out an overview of Braun shavers.
Braun is a German brand. Their purpose is to design products that can actually make a difference in the life of their customers. The premium electrical appliances are popular for their longevity, reliability, and sustainability.
When it comes to electric shavers, Braun provides five lines with different features. They are all oriented to offer a close-shave, so you can start your day perfectly. You can choose from basic designs to premium shavers, as it can be seen below:
- Braun Series 1 Shavers – perfect for beginners, thanks to the ergonomic design and large shaver head;
- Braun Series 3 Shavers – is characterized by increased motor speed and wet and dry capability, so you can take it with you in the shower;
- Braun Series 5 Shavers – excellent for men with sensitive skin and dense hair;
- Braun Series 7 Shaver’s – the sonic technology makes the shavers vibrate, thus capture the hair easily, for comfortable shaving;
- Braun Series 9 Shavers – includes the latest technology of the moment, for a premium shaving experience.
Braun shavers include a series of features that make them extremely versatile. They have an automatic voltage adaptor and permit cordless shaving.
Though it takes 1 hour to fully charge, there is a fast charge feature that lasts just 5 minutes, perfect for a quick shave. Some of their products even allow the use of shaving gel or foam.
The sonic technology is the latest enhancement in the shaving industry. The micro-vibrations allow the device to capture more hair, providing cleaner and faster results. According to the type you choose, you can opt for extra sensitive, normal and intense modes. The trimmer is adjustable, with a nice and thick beard.
Pros and Cons of Braun Shavers
Braun shavers seem to be high-quality products, due to their great features. In order to certify their reliability, it is important to analyze what the users have to say about them.
You can find the major pluses and minuses of these shavers.
- they provide a very nice close shave;
- the trimmer works very well;
- the battery life is excellent, with a single charge, you can use it for more
- then one week;
- they are efficient even on thicker beard;
- they are well-made;
- they do not irritate the skin;
- they are quiet;
- they manage to pick even the short hair;
- they are easy to clean, as some models have an automatic cleaning station
- the motor is very powerful;
- they assure a close shave even on dry skin;
- they can be used daily as they do not irritate the skin.
- they do not manage to shave very well the neck area;
- the self-cleaning feature may fail to work properly all the time;
- the trimmer has an odd angle that causes an uncomfortable grip;
- though they have an ergonomic shape, it is a bit hard to hold them firmly.
Overall, Braun seems to be a reliable brand when it comes to electric shavers. Just like all products, it comes with pluses and minuses, so it is up to you to decide whether it is worth giving it a try or not. There are various types to choose from, so it is not hard to find the right device for you.