If you have a baby, then you’ll appreciate why baby swings exist. Much as you love holding and soothing your baby, you may need some time off. Your time off maybe just a couple of minutes or a few hours. Your baby will need extra hands. While hiring someone to look after them can be a good idea, there is a better idea for this: baby swings.
Baby swings give babies precisely what they want – constant soothing, appealing sounds, and sweet melodies. Whose baby wouldn’t love this?
Baby swings are a great alternative to arms that need some rest from holding and swaying the precious baby or need to do other chores. Swings can help your baby fall asleep or remain calm for a considerable time. However, you need to be cautious about the position of your baby in the swing. Some positions might obstruct the airways.
It’s time for mama to take a break. There are numerous types of baby swings in the market. We’ve done the job. We have selected ten categories of baby swings for you. This guide covers you whether you want something simple or sophisticated swing, we got you covered.
Here are the best baby swings reviews:
1. Fisher-Price SpaceSaver: Best baby swing for small spaces
Sometimes space can be a constraint. But that should not deny your baby comfort. There are a host of small-sized baby swings in the market. Ideally, this category of baby swings take the least space in your house but still act as perfect entertainment centers for your baby.
The task of finding a small but high performing baby swing can be extremely difficult. You’ll move from one baby shop to next or spend countless hours on the internet to looking for such swings.
Smaller baby swings suit babies up to 20 pounds of weight. So before you buy, consider the size and weight of your baby. Typically, if you have a small space, then a small footprint will work well for you.
- For instance, the Fisher-Price SpaceSaver Swing & Seat has a Size of 23.5 x 24 x 28 inches and comfortably holds a baby up to 20 pounds.
The good thing with this baby carrier is that it is portable, highly mobile, easy to assemble, and upon assemble, it will swing, vibrate, and play music to keep your baby entertained. Above all, it features a cozy seat.
- On the other hand, 4moms rockaRooCompact Baby Swing is another incredible baby swing that comes at only a third the size of traditional baby swings, which means it won’t occupy a considerable space in your house. An amazing feature with this swing is its front to back gliding motion and five levels of swing motions.
The 4moms rockaRoo is exceptionally lightweight. So you can quickly and move it from room to room with your house. Unfortunately, it has no batteries, so you have to use it near an electric outlet.
- The unique thing about the Graco Glider Lite LX I is its gentle motion that mimics how a mother cuddles and comforts a baby. Besides, being portable and lightweight it offers a spacious soft seat and fluffy head support to keep baby cozy and comfortable
Still, you get incredible six gliding speeds. With such a vast number of gliding speeds, you can set the speed that suits the mood of your child. The ten classic melodies and the five nature sounds, undoubtedly, will great pleasure and amusement to your precious little one.
Here’s one more example:
- The Ingenuity Cozy Kingdom comes with great portability, as you can easily fold and transport, thanks to its compact size. The swing basically glides, and you can remove the toy bar. It has two toys that move at the same speed as the baby swing.
The most amazing thing with this swing is that it has five harness points that ensure that your baby remains safe and secure on the swing.
2. Graco Slim Spaces: Best baby Swing for reflux
Reflux in babies can be bothersome. Unfortunately, most parents cannot easily discern if their babies have reflux. Medics’ term reflux as not a severe condition.
You might be wondering:
Reflux gets cured automatically when the baby grows. However, until then, you must find relief for your baby. The possible symptoms of reflux that your bay may show include your baby spitting up food, coughing, wheezing, or even vomiting. In some cases, the baby might spit blood, refuses to eat, difficulty in breathing, and failing to gain weight, among others.
Are you getting worried?
There is a simple solution – baby swings. The common belief is that swings can alleviate reflux in babies because you can set the seat to a particular angle/inclination, which reduces the amount of stomach acid traveling up into the esophagus.
You’ll do anything to keep your baby comfortable. That is why we will talk about a few top recommended baby swings to relieve reflux in your baby.
- First, the Graco Slim Spaces Compact Baby Swing comes with a pretty upright seat, a typical reflux solution in children. Moreover, if your baby coughs or is in pain, set in the swinging motion, which keeps the infant calm as it gives the infant the feeling of a mother’s arms.
The toy bar comes with two balls whose primary purpose is to entertain your baby. These balls distract the baby, thanks to their visual stimulation capabilities. Thus, taking away the pain and discomfort.
Again, if you have a small space, this baby swing is compact and will only take a small portion of your living room or bedroom. The compactness makes it lightweight hence portable. You can use it within or outside your house because it uses batteries.
- Secondly, the Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ‘n Swing is perfectly fitted for babies with a history of reflux. It comes with two recline positions, which you can easily adjust by merely pressing a dedicated button. With this, you can place your baby in the best position to prevent reflux.
When it comes to soothing your baby, count this baby swing as one of the best. It features 16 amazing nature sounds as well as soothing songs. These songs will certainly, distract your baby when it is in pain or discomfort.
- Last on our today’s list is the Graco Duet Soothe Swing Rocker Winslet, which is known to be light; thus makes it easier for you to carry it anywhere you go. You can adjust the recline position of the baby, especially after feeding it. Set recline position to near vertical so that the gravity keeps food in the stomach.
When the reflux sets in and the child are in pain, shake the baby swing with either your foot or hands to initiate the motion. This will reduce the pain. With 15 songs and sounds, you rest assured that your child will remain calm.
- Other baby swings can help you reduce reflux in your children; they include 4moms mamaRoo 4 infant seat and Fisher-Price Rock ’n Play Sleeper.
3. Ingenuity Cozy Kingdom: Best portable baby swing
What makes a baby swing to qualify as being portable is both a compact design light in weight. You, therefore, can move it quickly from one place to another; but it will occupy a small space in your home. As such, a portable baby swing is an excellent option for parents who have small spaces or those who are traveling.
- Different baby swings come with various features that make them qualify as portable swings. For instance, The Fisher-Price Take-Along Swing and Seat stand out as one of the best foldable baby swings. The swing folds to appear like a backpack so that you can easily carry around. What makes this swing a functional portable type is that you can use batteries as the primary source of power when outdoors.
- Similarly, the Ingenuity Cozy Kingdom Portable Swing is another foldable baby swing. When you fold its legs together, the swing easily converts into compact stuff, which you can easily place into your suitcase for transport.
For a fact, anything that is compact and takes little of your pace qualifies to be a portable baby swing. But you should not sacrifice functionality for portability. The swings mentioned above are highly functional. They feature different swing speeds, as both of them have six different swing speeds.
Similarly, they come with musical tunes and sounds that both the newborn and growing babies will fall in love with. Keep in mind that the number of tones and sounds vary from one portable baby swing to another.
While looking at this portable swing, do not forego comfort. The fabric must be plush enough for baby to enjoy their stay. Again, it must be washable so that you keep the hygiene of the swing at high standards.
Some portable design is not foldable but just come at a tiny footprint. If they have all the great features that will make your baby comfortable, then it is worthy of giving them a try.
4. Graco Glider Lite LX: Best baby swing for twins
Having twins can be joyous. But do you know how many responsibilities it carries? First, you need ample space. This applies to almost everything, including baby swings. You may decide to buy two compact swings, one for each baby such as the Graco Glider Lite LX, or may opt to find a baby swing curated for your precious twins.
Locating a swing that can accommodate both your twins can be a bit hectic, considering the fact that most manufacturers may not be dealing in large-sized stuff. For this reason, most people might opt to buy two separate swings.
Here’s the deal:
There are highly functional swings for your twins. For instance,
The Baby Trend Twins Nursery Center: can correctly work for your twins as it features double bassinet, and has a stronger built. Besides, it has sounds and tunes to calm and cool your baby.
Much as this product is termed as a nursery center, it offers features typical to a baby rocker, but it lacks the swinging capabilities. You can remove the two removable rock-a-bye bassinet converts, and what remains is a standalone rocker.
What makes this an excellent piece to soothe your baby, is that the electronic music comes with volume control so that you can get the right music volume to suit the moods of your twins. Music center, together with vibrating options, make an outstanding entertainment feature for your baby.
I find the night light mode more fascinating than anything else. It is not too bright nor too dim for your babies. Remember, the toys that are hung directly above the babies’ keep them busy throughout the stay. They’ll stare or try to reach out, which helps in eye-hand coordination
Another excellent product for your twins is the Fisher-Price Baby’s Bouncer Geo Meadow, which is typically a bouncy seat to soothe your fussy little one. This baby bouncer is modest. It does not present itself as one of the sophisticated products, but undoubtedly, it is one of the best entertainment centers for your twins.
It features a toy bar, which is removable. The bar has several toys such as spinning monkey with rollerball, and zebra and lion spinners. This will ultimately leave your twins gazing.
What makes this bouncer fit for your twins is that it is spacious enough, and comes with a 3-point adjustable restraint.
If you are looking for a swing for your twins, you must put much consideration on space, harnessing mechanism, comfort, and of course, entertainment.
5. 4Moms MamaRoo: Best baby swing for colic
For babies crying is the primary way of communicating. Through crying, they express their anger, hunger, thirst, or merely a way of simulation. So many parents take crying like a regular part of a baby’s daily life.
What happens if your baby cries or fusses frequently? If your precious little one cries for three or more hours continuously, then it should be colic. The cause of this condition seems not to be precise. However, the condition may commence a few weeks after birth, gets worse between 4 and 6 weeks, and slowly disappears when the baby is between 3 to 4 months old.
A baby with colic cries for no apparent reason. In such cases, you need to employ serious measures to calm them down. There are only to possible solutions to colic: preventing triggers and claiming and soothing the affected child.
You can soothe and make your baby calm with the right baby swing, regardless of the severity of the colic. So what you need to do is to find a baby swing with specific features. For instance, white noises are the best in calming babies. They are termed as the most effective way of calming your baby down. So look for a baby swing that noise like snow, rain, or sounds of the wind.
Again, it is vital to consider the position. Colic babies find relief when they are in a straight or slightly upright position. The position ensures that the stomach acid stays in the stomach. Some baby swings are designed to be in an upright position while some come with multiple recline settings for different needs.
Another essential feature that can help relieve colic in babies is the type of swing movement. Doctors advise that the best swings are those that swing from front to back, and it should have a slight vibration. This motion relieves pain effectively.
When it comes to speed, higher swing speed is the best in ensuring that your baby receives the best soothing. So if you are out shopping for a baby swing for a colic little one, look for a swing with the above features. Add the following features too: strong built, proper harnessing mechanism, power source, comfort, and easy cleaning.
6. Graco DuetSoothe: Best baby swing for big babies
Did you know that swinging big babies train them to balance? So swinging is essential, a form of exercise for your baby. Big babies are quite aware of their environment. They have grip and thus can hold on to the swing. When the swing is motion, the babies will try to grip more; thus, it helps them to strengthen their grip.
Swinging is fun; thus, it makes these big babies excited. But, big babies are also heavier. So while choosing a swing for them, you must look for something that has a sturdy built to withstand the weight of the baby. Manufacturers always specify the weight range suitable for each swing. Strictly adhere to it to avoid accidents. Again, ensure that the material that builds the swing is nontoxic.
Still, it is essential to look at the harnessing mechanisms. While most swings are built with harnessing mechanisms, not all of them are strong enough to hold babies with considerable weight. The best harness system must have strong buckles. In fact, having a 5-point harness system is the best option.
Let’s look at typical examples: Graco DuetSoothe Baby Swing and Rocker suit babies from five and a half pounds to thirty pounds. The good thing with this product is it doubles up a rocker. To get the rocker, simply detach the seat. The rocker is highly convenient as it has a carry handle that you can use to carry the baby by your side.
What will impress you with this swing and rocker is the roomy plush seat with strong support, vibrations, and music options and 6 swing speeds.
The Graco Cozy Duet Swing Plus Rocker, on the other hand, closely resembles the Graco DuetSoothe except for its small footprint, two-speed vibration, and four swing speeds. In addition, you get a 5 point harness.
The other amazing feature about the rock and swing baby swings is that you can either rock your baby or swing it. But you must know that if you choose to comfort your baby through rocking, then you should do it outdoors. That is why most swings for big babies can be used well outdoors.
The only limitation to this would be the source of power if you bought an automated baby swing. But, you can buy those that use batteries on top of AC power.
7. Graco Duet Soothe: Best baby swing for sleeping
Soothing a baby to sleep can be hectic. Some babies won’t sleep comfortably. That means you have to carry them in your arms for long. Undoubtedly, this is tiring and inconveniencing, especially if you want to do something else.
The baby swing came in to help many mothers. Apart from being an entertainment center for your baby, these baby swings can soothe your baby to sleep. However, you must put in mind that not all baby swings are calming enough to send your baby to sleep.
Think of it; what always makes our baby fall asleep? Is it the music, swinging action, or both? Before you purchase a swing, consider features that your baby will love. Nonetheless, if you get a swing with a mix of features, it will be perfectly okay.
When it comes to swing movement, you must choose a kind that will definitely send your child to sleep. For instance, a baby swing with either round motions or up and down hops are termed as the best baby swings to soother your baby to sleep. But, other kinds of motions will still offer proper soothing if they come with additional features.
Pay attention to details like a source of power and size in addition to numbers and types of melodies and sounds. Your baby must fit in the baby swing correctly to be comfortable. Still, considering the harnessing mechanism can help to secure your child on the swing correctly.
The Graco Duet Soothe Swing Rocker is one of the best baby swings that can make your baby calm and consequently fall asleep. An outstanding feature Graco Duet product is that its seat can double up as a rocker. Such a feature gives a higher level of flexibility for maneuvering in your home, while still offering your baby the comfort and soothing that it needs.
With this baby swing, you’ll get a multi-directional swing direction. You can set to swing side-by-side, sway swing, and toe to head. The seat, on the other hand, offers 3 sitting positions. You can select that position in which your child will easily fall asleep.
Another baby swing that makes your baby fall asleep is the Ingenuity ConvertMe Swing-2-Seat Portable Swing. Any mom looking for a baby swing, this is a must-have. Apart from providing swinging motions, this versatile baby swing comes with a vibrating option. Using these two features properly will obviously calm your baby.
You can select either relaxing vibrations or gently swaying movements according to the mood of your baby. Further, it allows you to adjust swing speed until your baby is comfortable. Despite the powerful motor, this product operates rather quietly. The only thing you hear is the melodies and nature sounds.
Last, in this category today is the Fisher-Price Papasan, Cradle Swing. The most noticeable feature on this baby swing is the comfortable and plush seat together with the head support. The combination of the two ultimately ensures that your baby is comfortable, which will make it fall asleep quickly.
In addition to the two swing motions, i.e., side-to-side cradle and head-to-toe swing motion, this powerful product features an overhead starlight show and soft hanging toys which also sways. These, together with16 songs and amazing nature sounds, your baby comfort is well taken care of.
8. Graco Simple Sway: Best baby swing for newborn infants
A baby swing is a valuable product for mothers. It can take care of their babies as they do house chores. But the most pertinent question is at what age the baby should be placed into the swing. Well, even infants below a month, can sit well in the baby swing.
However, there is a number of things that you must do before you think of an infant baby swing. As a parent, ensure that the baby swing meets the required safety standards. Keep in mind that accidents do occur, and few cases have already been reported. The good news is that modern baby swings already meet these standards. But you need just to be cautious.
Again, parents must minimize the amount of time the infants stay in the baby swing because the head of an infant is still soft. When such head stays in one position for long, it may become flat.
Also, it is crucial to be mindful of the inclination of the seat. Poor seat recline may cause the baby to slump over or even suffocate. So infants below four months should be seated in the most reclined position.
While foldable bay swing may be a better option due to their portability, they may not be great options for babies. Such baby swing can fold up quickly, or they tip over. If your infant is in it, it may suffocate or injure the baby.
Also, if you must set the swing seat at an angle, ensure that the baby swing has a shoulder strapping/harnessing mechanism. Any angle above 50-degree may make the baby fall. So a shoulder strap will keep them steady on the swing.
Most importantly, the swing that you buy must have a reasonably flat cradle surface while swinging and when staying still. This prevents the infant from falling or falling out.
Many baby swings meet the criteria as described above. The only thing you have to do is look for a swing that is fit for your newborn infant. The best swings for your newborn are:
- Graco Simple Sway: it comes with gently swinging motion, two vibration speeds, head support, and a comfortable seat.
- Fisher-Price Papasan: the swing features two swing motion, 16 songs, mobile music, hanging toys, and a versatile seat, i.e., 2-position recline with three adjustable seat positions
- Graco Glider LX Gliding Swing: this baby swing is built with features that soothe the baby similar to the way a mother does.
9. Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy: Best baby swing for the money
Getting value for money is one of the most desirable things.
Each product you buy must operate as the manufacturer advertised it. Before you spent your money on any baby swing, you must ensure that the swing is highly functional and has features that you desire.
Among the things that people look at are portability, durability other unique features. That means you have to consider the material that makes a particular baby swing.
The market is full of baby swings –unique, latest, trendy, for small and big babies, and pricy or cheap. If you narrow down to what you want in a baby swing, you can easily find the right one.
Some swing models are popular. For instance, the products from Fisher-Price are one of the most popular swings that people buy. For example, the Fisher-Price Sweet Snugapuppy Dreams Cradle ‘n Swing has an amazing rate of 4.3 on amazon.
Most users rate this baby swing higher than any other type of baby swing. The primary reason people love this I that it is customizable and allows you to select the kind of soothing you want your baby to have. Still, it is portable and has an overhead mobile.
Another outstanding manufacturer is 4moms mamaRoo 4. The most notable product that offers you value for money is the 4moms mamaRoo 4 Baby Swing. This baby swing has Bluetooth capabilities, which helps to control the swing using the mobile phone.
Other swings are:
- Graco Slim Spaces Compact Baby Swing: small-sized hence suitable for small sizes.
- KidCo Swingpod Portable Swaddle Swing: soothes the baby just like you.
10. Graco Duet Sway LX Swing: Best baby swing and bouncer combo
The combination of swinging and bouncing seems a great way to reward your little one. While a baby swing can work well in entertaining and soothing your baby, adding a vibrating motion to it can effectively spice up the soothing. Typically, they are called 2-in-1 baby swings.
Graco Duet Sway LX Swing plus Portable Bouncer is one such example. The seat of this baby swing can be used either as a portable baby bouncer. It comes with the carry handles that allow you to carry and swing the baby by your side. On the other hand, the swing has two soothing motions, i.e., side-to-side or front-to-back swinging, while the seat is Multi-directional.
Products from Graco are equally built with a duet function. For instance,
- the Graco DuetConnect LX Swing + Bouncer and
- the Graco DuetConnect LX Baby Swing and Bouncer, come with the two functionalities. They offer two vibration speeds, six swing speeds, five harness points, and 15 songs and sounds, among other features.
What to keep in mind when selecting baby swings
Below are essential things to consider in a baby swing:
- Safety: safety ensure that your baby doesn’t get injured. The first thing you must consider is a swing with a broader base to eliminate the chances of accidentally folding. It is important to consider the weight limit. Ensure your baby doesn’t exceed the weight limit. Lastly, ensure that those toys do not pull off easily.
- Comfort: the seat should be plush, and a headrest should accompany it. The ability to adjust the recline position further makes it easy to keep your child comfortable.
- Ease of use: you should buy a swing that will not be complicated to use. Placing and removing your baby as well as getting the right setting must be easy.
- Portability: compact swings are lightweight. This makes it easier to carry from one place to another.
- Power source: basically, swings are either run by battery or AC power. In some cases, they have both capabilities. If you plan to use your swing outdoors, then choose the one with batteries.
- Swing motions and speed: look for swing motions that will entertain as well as calm your baby. Common types are head to toes and side to side swings. On the other hand, swing sped are essential in spicing up the soothing effect. If a swing has numerous speeds, you can select what suits your baby’s mood.
- Music and sounds: always look for swings with numerous music options. When it comes to sounds, natural sounds/white sounds are good at calming babies.
No parent can underestimate the importance of a baby swing. Swings come in numerous categories to fit various types. Whether it is a newborn, a child with colic or reflux, portable swings, or cheap baby swing, the market has numerous options to offer to you.
As a parent, you have to look at what suits your parents. One of the most important features that you need to consider is the comfort of your baby. As such, you need to find a seat that will offer such levels of comfort. The majority of the modern baby swing comes with features that guarantee comfort, though.
You must ensure that you get value for your money by getting the right baby swing. This review presents ten categories of swing with a typical example. We hope this is helpful.