Traveling with your little one in the car can be so unsafe if you don’t have a booster car seat.
With their sung fit, tight-fitting and all those security features, booster seats make your travel trips safe, enjoyable, and comfortable for the whole family.
A large variety of booster car seats are available in the market, but you can’t pick any of them randomly because it’s the matter of your child’s safety. Secondly, it’s a one-time investment as it will remain useful for many growing years of your child.
This article is designed to inform you all about the best booster seats.
It will cover the topic from all angles, why they are important, what are their benefits, or how to choose the best booster seats.
Above all, we will recommend some of the best options in the market. We will recommend the top 10 best booster car seats of 2020 for your convenience.
So stick along as it is a long ride.
Best Booster Car Seats for 2020
Here are the best options in the market.
We have selected these car seats on the base of their sturdy construction, easy installation, and quality performance.
You will find different booster seats with varying ranges of price. Some pricey options are obviously more secure and durable for those who can afford it.
Some easily affordable options are also part of our list that is not very expensive but serves the purpose well while not compromising the security and safety of your child at all.
Graco is a reliable brand when we are talking about booster car seats. This particular one is one of their great options.
They understand how kids are growing, and this car seat is designed to grow with your kid.
It will be your harness booster seat, backless booster, and high-back booster seat. You can make use of this durable seat as per your requirement.
Five Point Booster seat is good for children under 65 pounds, high back and backless options are good for children weighing between 40-100 lb.
It will be there to protect your kid from toddler to early youth.
The booster seat features a Simply Safe Adjust Harness System so you can adjust the seat as per your kid’s height, weight, and age.
It also provides headrest with 8 positions. Make sure you adjust the headrest to the right area where the head stays in a comfortable and safe position.
The car seat is specially made lightweight to ensure its portability. It suits busy parents who are always active for a trip out.
Both installation and removing the car seat is very easy and time-saving, not to mention secure as well.
Want to have something to drink on the way? The car seat booster comes with a cup holder so you can securely place the drink close.
The booster car seat also offers an open seat belt guides to help you position car seat across your kid safely.
All seat parts and harness covers are easy to remove, and you can dump them in the washing machine for a quick and hassle-free wash.
- 3-in-1 car seat booster will keep working for many years.
- Allows adjusting headrest to eight positions.
- Open-loop belt guide for adjusting your car seat correctly.
- Machine-washable seat pads.
- Lightweight and easy to install.
- It may not be a snug fit.
- A bit tricky to install if it is your first time.
The GracoTurboBooster LX High Back Car Seat is an affordable option by Graco. The booster car seat is designed to transport your kid safely. It complies with the LATCH security system that ensures your kid stays safe and secure while traveling and even in case of any uneventful crash.
The Car seat is a convertible booster that is for your kid weighing between 30-100 Pound. It can be used by 3-10-year-olds. The seat will keep working for many years with the same efficiency.
It uses a one-hand front-adjust LATCH system that keeps the booster secure and firm on your car seat. The booster seat remains firm and secure even when it is unoccupied.
The car seat booster uses EPS foam liners that is an energy-absorbing foam. It allows for effective impact energy management.
The high back seat allows your kid self-buckling for independent kids.
It allows front adjustment, so seat booster snugly fits in the seat. For growing children, you can remove the high back and keep using the seat for the security of your child.
The booster seat is easy to fit in a car seat. It may seem a bit tricky the first time, but once you get the knack of it, it becomes easy to install and remove.
The car seat provides a cup holder for your kiddo. Head support is also adjustable to suit your kid’s height.
The product has through some rigorous tests to affirm its utility in a car crash or other accidents.
It meats and exceed all US safety standards. Overall, it is a perfect combination of convenience and safety for your child.
- Affordable price.
- Meets all security standards.
- EPS foam liners.
- Adjustable headrest.
- Allows one-hand seat adjustment.
- Less durable built.
The Graco Affix Youth Booster Seat is another great option from Graco that costs midrange. It is neither too cheap and nor very pricey.
The booster seat comes with a LATCH security system (1) for your growing child. It allows you to travel with your big kid with high back car seat mode when between 30-100 Pound.
When they grow bigger, you can remove the high back and make use of it as a backless car seat booster. So it works like 2-in one car seat boosters.
The seat booster provides an easy to install mechanism. You can install this booster seat within seconds with some practice.
Thanks to its one-hand front-adjust Latch system, you can even adjust it with one hand.
With front adjustment options, you can make it a snug fit to your car seat in no time by tightening the booster, so it keeps its place correctly.
All security measures are provided in both high back and backless modes. The child can self-buckle himself easily, or you can teach him how to ensure their safety while traveling.
The seat booster is very comfortable for your child. It keeps them in a good and comfortable position.
A headrest has multiple layers to maximize your child’s security and comfort.
Not only it gives support to your child’s head from the back but it provides side supports that keep the head in a comfortable position.
The seat features a cup holder that can keep bottles, cups or snacks at arm’s length.
- Two-in-one car seat booster.
- Easy and simple to latch.
- Easy to install.
- The headrest has side support as well.
- Decent safety features.
- Easy to get stains.
- The seat cover is not removable.
The hiccoKidFit 2-in-1 Belt-Positioning Booster Car Seat is a Great option from Chicco. It’s a sturdy looking seat booster that provides security and comfort to your child even on long road trips.
The best part of having this seat booster is its side-impact protection. It provides 10 positions for the head and shoulders to suit your growing kid’s needs.
It features a multiplying force tightening latch that keeps the seat booster securely fit with less effort. You can tighten the latch effortlessly to make sure it stays in place even in jolts.
It comes with a double padded seat booster that is super comfortable for your child and also keeps him safe while traveling.
As your child grows, you don’t have to buy another seat to accommodate his growing needs. You can simply remove the high back and turn this seat booster into a backless seat that now suits your big kid’s age.
The booster seat features not just one, but two cup holders and the best part is that these cup holders are removable and dishwasher safe.
So even if there are some spills on the way, you can easily wash the cup holders.
Another very useful advantage is its two-position backrest. With its two-level recline position, it certainly mimics the car seats.
The booster car seat is very reasonably priced and provides a good value of your money with its high quality and maximum comfort.
- Double padded comfortable seat.
- 10 position headrest adjustment.
- 2 level recline backrest.
- Premium latch connectors.
- Support for both head and shoulder.
- It may not feel very tight when the back is pushed to recline more.
The Evenflo Maestro Booster Car Seat is also a bit less expensive than our previous option. The EVenflo comes with two modes.
You can make it work like a forward-facing harness that supports 22-50 lbs children. When your child outgrows, you can turn it into a belt-positioning booster for children with 40-110 lbs.
The high-quality material of the seat is easy to keep in pristine condition. It is easy to wipe, and you can also remove it for a machine wash.
It allows five-point harnessing that keeps your child safe and secure while traveling. You can adjust the harness according to the size of your child.
Its shoulder belt guide automatically positions the car seat belt in a proper position. On both sides, two cup holders will keep all drinks and snacks within your kid’s reach.
The booster car seat is easy to install or remove. It can also be used in airplanes for traveling by plane.
The design seems very nice and durable. It comes with enough padding for the comfort of your child. Even in long hours of travel trips, it stays comfortable.
The booster seat is very reasonably priced. It provides good value to the money spend. Overall, it’s a great option for those looking for a durable and comfortable option.
- Five-position harness.
- Easy to install.
- Enough padding for comfort.
- Two cup holders.
- It can be used on airplanes.
- Straps are hard to tighten.
The KidsEmbrace 2-in-1 Harness Booster Car Seat is an amazing looking booster seat that your child is going to love. The spider man looking seat is designed to entertain your kid while ensuring his safety as well.
The car seat is padded and perfectly contoured to suit your little one’s body. It makes the seat super comfortable for your child even in long rides.
The booster seat comes with a 5-point harness seat that is easy to adjust and keeps your child in position for the car ride. The two-point crochet belt accommodates your child’s growing body.
The head-rest allows three positions so your child can sleep comfortably on long trips. It also features energy absorbing EPS foam for maximum side impact protection.
The booster seat is easy to install. You can fix it with a seat belt or with a latch lower anchor belt with adjustors and push-in connectors.
The car seat provides a tow cup holder that has ample space to hold your child’s drinks, snacks or other small toys.
The cushioned seat is not only comfortable for your child, but it is easy to clean as well. You can remove the seat cushion for a quick wash in the washing machine.
The ease of cleaning helps you to keep using the booster seat for long, it stays in pristine condition, and you don’t have to look for a substitute.
- 2-in-1 harness booster seat.
- Easy to clean.
- Five-point harness keeps your child secure.
- Three-position head-rest allows better comfort.
- Affordable price.
- Time-consuming installation.
The Cosco Finale DX 2-in-1 Booster Car Seat by Cosco is an amazing booster seat that is designed to accommodate your needs as your child grows.
It can be used as a forward-facing car seat that securely fits your kid from 35-65 pounds, and between 32 to 49 inches tall. As your kid grows, it can be used as belt-positioning booster seat safe for kids between 40-100 pounds and between 43 and 52 inches in height
In forward-facing mode, it protects your kid with its 5 point harness. The booster seat is easy to install, and you can move it from car to car with convenience. It is very lightweight as well which makes it more portable.
Its deluxe fabric keeps your kid comfy. The seat cover is easy to clean, you can simply wipe it with a cloth, or it can be removed and machine-washable as well.
You can detach the cup holders from either side for cleaning as well. They are dishwasher safe and thus easy to clean as well.
This booster seat comes at a very low price. Its low price and lightweight may raise some questions on its durability.
- It comes with 2-in-1 modes.
- Light-weight and easy to install.
- Detachable cup holders.
- Low price.
- Padded seats.
- It does not look very durable.
The Britax Frontier ClickTight Harness is a bit expensive, but a quality product that ensures the maximum security for your child. Britax booster seat is designed to keep your big kid safe and comfortable so he can savor every minute of his ride in the car.
The booster seat is easy to install and requires no complicated installation procedure. It becomes as simple as buckling a belt. With a simple click, you can rest assured seat stays in position firmly.
It features a safe-cell technology that crumples to absorb energy in case of a car crash so that your kid remain as much safe as possible.
The seat is structured with a high-quality steel frame that makes it very durable and strong. It provides ample safety measures for your little one’s safety. With eight head-rest positions, you can make sure your kid stays in a comfortable position.
The seat has multiple front-adjust recline position in frontier harness-2-booster seat. The recline position is comfortable for your sleeping child. However, booster mode, it can’t be used in the recline position.
The seat is easy to transition from harness to belt-positioning seat. You can again change it into a harness seat for your next baby.
The booster seat has an easy to clean cover; you can keep it in a good position with regular wipes and wash.
- Simple click-tight installation.
- Safe impact absorption features.
- Durable steel frame.
- It can be used as a harness booster and belt-positioning seat.
- Easy transition.
- It is expensive.
The ChiccoMyFit Harness + Booster Car Seat is another good option from Chicco. The booster car seat will stay useful as your little one grows into a big kid.
It provides extended five-point harness security that can transition into a belt-positioning booster.
Four positions allow you to adjust the headrest suiting your child’s height and physique.
It provides the best recline, so your child remains in good posture throughout the long ride and also accommodates years of growth.
Its DuoGuard side-impact protection provides two layers for protection for your child’s safety. A rigid shell and EPS shock-absorbing foam surrounds your child’s head, and torso. Its steel frame structure also provides superior impact protection.
In harness mode, it provides a padded harness that can be tightened with one pull. You can easily hide the harness away in the belt-positioning mode for your big kid.
It comes with a premium latch connector and a lock-sure belt-tightening system that makes installation easy and gives a snug fit to your seat.
It also features smooth undersides that protect your car seats form damage. A stylish zipper allows you to remove or install the seat cushion for easy machine-wash.
It provides two cup-holders for accommodating your child’s drink, snacks, and toys.
The booster seat is designed to stay comfortable for your child for long hours. Its padded seat is spacious and soft on touch as well.
You can keep it in a good position with regular wipes and occasional wash.
- Durable steel structure.
- Comfortable recline position.
- Cushioned padded seats.
- Zipper for removing seat cushion.
- Stay firm and tight even after long use.
- Bit pricey.
The ClekOobr High Back Booster Car Seat by Clek is a full back booster seat that is designed just like the original seats of your car. With a complete metal structure, this one has a durable and sturdy built.
The booster seat has a rigid-latch system that keeps the seat firm and tight in all conditions. The latch locks the booster seat to your original car seat’s anchorage system that keeps it more secure.
With a recline back, your child can sleep comfortably while traveling. The back provides up to 12 degrees of recline for sleeping comfort.
The headrest has a magnesium frame and connects with the seat with steel rods that reduces the twisting movement and provides better protection to the head.
It comes with an adjustable headrest for a custom fit as your child grows. The headrest also has padded sides that allow comfort in naps.
As your toddler grows in big kid, you can remove the back, making it a backless booster.
The seat cushion is comfortable and padded, but it can’t be removed for a wash. Just like your normal car seats, you have to wipe the seat for keeping it clean.
The booster seat is also a bit heavy due to its metal construction, but that makes it extra durable for long use.
- Metal construction.
- It looks like a real car seat.
- Spacious and comfortable.
- Recline positions for sleep.
- Very safe and tight-fitting.
- The seat cover is not washable.
Why Choosing the Right Booster Seat Is Important
The seats of all vehicles are not designed for children. They are for grown-ups and fit their bodies to protect them from a sudden fall in case of a car crash. A child’s body does not fit in a normal seat belt securely, and there are more chances of falls and injuries in case of a car crash.
Booster seats are specifically designed to ensure the safety of your child in a car ride. They have all the features to fit the little body in the car seat.
It keeps them in good posture, provides them enough comfort, and keep them secure in case of a car crash or any other accident.
In a car accident, if your child is not securely restrained with a belt or shoulders, they may suffer serious injuries to their head, backbone, and other internal organs.
Children who use booster seats are less likely to suffer any serious injuries in case of a car accident. That’s why the National Highway Traffic Administration recommends all children ride in their booster car seats until;
- They are 4 feet and 9 inches tall.
- They have exceeded the manufacturer’s height and weight limit of their booster seat.
- The child is old enough to use and fits in regular sea belts.
In many US states, it’s a law to strap your child into a booster seat for safety reasons.
Benefits of Booster Seats
- Safety: Safety is the first and most important benefit of booster seats. It keeps your child secure while you are riding. Toddlers and even big kids are very active and can move a lot while you are traveling. A booster seat keeps them in a secure and optimal position. Not only in accidents, but it protects them from falls during jolts or breaks.
Children are also prone to sleep while traveling. So if strapped to a booster seat you can make sure they don’t accidentally fall to sides or front.
In case of accidents, booster seats are designed to absorb shocks and reduce the impact of the crash. So it keeps your child safe and secure in all conditions.
- Comfortable Position: The Child stays in a good and comfortable position in long rides. These booster seats have special cushioned seats that are designed and contoured to fit your child.
They are a lot more comfortable than normal car seats. Also, they offer useful features such as a headrest or recline position that keeps your child safe and comfortable on long trips.
- Convenience: They are very convenient. They come with cup holders at each side for holding your child’s snacks, drinks, and other toys to keep him engaged while you are driving.
When is your child is ready for a Booster Seat?
It is important to put your child in a booster seat at the right time. Make sure he is ready for it.
Experts and the instructions that come with booster seats recommend using a booster seat when your child is above 30 pounds.
A very easy way to know if your child is old enough for a booster seat is by putting him on a seat. Look if his knees bend at the edge of the cushioned seat. If his knees do not bend on edges that means his legs will stick straight ahead and he is not old enough for a booster seat.
You can also check the position of the seat belt when he is sitting on a booster seat. The lap belt should cross his hips, touching his thighs.
Same with shoulder straps, they should fit around his shoulder and not around his neck or upper arm.
Types of Booster Seats
These are the basic types of booster seats available in the market:
- Backless Booster: These are only cushioned seats without the back. Their purpose is to lift the child’s body bit up so that the car seat belt fits across a big kid’s body.
All backless booster seats have a guide to adjust the seat belt in the correct position. These are lightweight and portable seats that are more suitable for older kids.
- High back booster: High back seats are either belt-positioned seats or simply a combination of belt-positioned seats or 5 point harness seats.
- Belt-positioned seats: these seats have head and shoulder support and for kids between 45-100 pounds. Some high-back booster seats are a combination of high back and backless seats. High-back is detachable. They come with an adjustable headrest to support the head of your child.
- Combination Booster Seats: These seats are specifically designed for the growing body of the child. They are a combination of a high back seat and a five-point harness seat. Five-point harness seat is more for toddlers. It secures them from shoulders and chest.
Overall, high back seats are more secure and offer better value and quality. These are obviously more costly than the backless seats.
Things to Consider While Buying a Booster Seats
Buying a booster seat is an important matter; after all, it’s the matter of your child’s security. Here are a few things you should consider while buying a booster seat.
Choose the correct booster seat according to your child’s age and height
Baby seats are divided into three groups;
- Baby car seats: these are for babies from birth to 12 months. You can change the baby’s seat when his upper head reaches the highest point of the car seat, and he can hold his head steady.
- Toddler Car Seats: These seats are forward-facing, and your child outgrows this seat when his ears can reach the uppermost height of the car seat.
- High back Car Seats: Your child will be using this seat for a long time until he can fit in the normal seat of a car. So make sure you choose a booster that’s appropriate for your child’s weight and height. All booster seats come with instructions on weight recommendations.
- Easy to Install: Choose a booster seat that is easy to install. Almost all booster seats come with a complete instruction manual that explains how to install the seat. Easy installation allows you to remove the booster seat and re-install when you want it. Also, make sure it is light weighted. A lightweight booster seat is easy to install or remove.
- Side Impact Protection: A booster seat should come with the maximum side impact protection. It will ensure the safety of your child in case of an accident.
- Choose a combination Seat: A combination seat stays useful as your child grows. You can move from five-point harness to a belt-positioning mode and then to a backless seat as your child grows.
- Sturdy built: Make sure you choose a steel or metal constructed frame. It will not only be more durable but will absorb the shock in a better way.
- Heat Rest positioning: Headrest positioning points allow you to adjust the headrest in a position comfortable for your child. Not all children are the same in height and weight, so more head positioning options allow better head support for your child.
- Maximum Security Features: Make sure before you select a booster seat that it comply with all safety recommendations and provides maximum security for your child.
- Removable Cushioned seats: A well-padded seat is more comfortable for your child. A removable seat is easy to clean; you can wash it in a washing machine.
Buying a Booster seat is an important decision and make sure you educate yourself about all safety features and age or weight recommendations.
All of the booster seats in our best booster seats for the 2020 list are well built and designed with maximum security features.
We recommend the Britax Frontier ClickTight Harness as the best option because of its superior quality, durable design, and security features. It is a bit pricey but provides good value for your money.
For those who think Britax booster seat is too expensive we have some budget-friendly options as well. Choose one that’s durable enough for long use and fits your budget.